This is a simple and delicious recipe.... a wonderful alternative to the high fat banana bread recipes that clock in 30 - 50% fat! Our recipe is fat free and cholesterol free...also low in sugar and a good source of potassium and fiber. Serve with nonfat cream cheese, fresh fruit or fruit spread, and enjoy as a satisfying and healthy snack!
Fat Free Banana Bread
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate, unsweetened, thawed
1/2 cup egg substitute, beaten well
3 tablespoons nonfat, lite yogurt, vanilla flavored
2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a standard loaf pan with food release.
2. In a medium bowl, add mashed bananas, apple juice concentrate and egg substitute together. Add yogurt and mix well.
3. In a separate large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix together until dry ingredients are mixed through.
4. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are well combined; blend thoroughly but do not over mix.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 - 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry. Cool on wire rack for 10 - 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in air tight sealed container.
Makes 10 servings
calories per slice 161 carbohydrate 35 g
cholesterol 0 mg sodium 125 mg
fat <1 g calorie density: moderate calorie-density
protein 4.9 g
dietary fiber 4.5 g
*White Whole Wheat Flour is a whole grain flour and available in the baking section of the grocery store or health food store. It provides a lighter texture than whole wheat flour, yet contains all of the nutrition as a whole grain. It's excellent to use when preparing baked goods.
© TheL.A DIET copyright 2012
It is always advisable to check with your physician before beginning any weight loss or exercise program.